What digital platforms are students currently using to develop their professional network?

Students are currently using LinkedIn to develop their professional network. LinkedIn brings excellent benefits to students as it connects them to jobs as a soon they graduate from college by connecting them to professionals. Specifically, LinkedIn enables students to showcase their profile, connections and recommendations which is integral to career paths.

What can you (as a student) consider to expand your professional learning network?

I think using Quora will enable me expand my professional network. Quora is a knowledge sharing website that allows posting of any questions and answering by anyone. Through Quora, both specific and general questions can be asked. One can view the discussions presented by others and also engage in answering their questions.

In your network, how can you create a digital identity/reputation?

I believe that Facebook is an ideal social media platform for use to build my reputation and digital visibility. The left tool bar under Groups icon on Facebook has “Explore” and “More” areas that enables one to filter by category the topic of interest and find relevant groups that will enable me connect with other professionals.

Consider what a local employer would do if you applied for a job with them-can they search the content, is it of benefit to the career path, does it hinder the opportunity for employment

A local employer can search the content of the job I have applied via Linkedin as a way of conducting a background check. This is because they are not restricted to the information on the materials of job application. The process of searching may enable them to view my profile which goes them the first impression of who I am.  By doing so, it they might be concerned if they find any omissions or my employment history, identity verification, criminal records, education confirmation, and credit history, among others. Indeed, this benefits my career path as it helps me to realize that applying a job goes in hand with a good reputation and identity. Besides, it also demonstrates credibility in my industry and highlights my achievements which is positive to my career path. The process can either hinder or increase the chances of me getting employed cindering whether omissions were found or not